Saturday, December 1, 2007

Article 1

http://www.specialed.us/autism/assist/asst10.htm

Assistive Technology for Children with Autism

This article was interesting because it discussed many ideas we already use in a 'regular' classroom. Assistive technology is any equipment,item, or system that is purchased to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of persons with disabilities. Children with autism generally process information better visually than auditory.
Some of us from Head Start just received training on Boardmaker, a program used as a communication aide. Visual representations are very important for a child, and starting with basic stick drawings and moving on to photographs or concrete representations. Another program that can be used is Picture This, a program allowing more real photos to be used.
Skill areas associated with autistic children are low technology, mid technology, and high technology. Low technology is items like dry erase boards, file folders, photo albums, 3 ring binders, etc. Mid technology is simple battery operated devices like a tape recorder, overhead projectors, simple voice output devices. High technology are items like video recorders, computers and the adaptive hardware, and complex voice output devices.
This article is a good resources for programs that can not only be used with autistic children, but any child. What child wouldn't want to see themselves on video or on a tape recorder?

2 comments:

Joleen Anderson said...

Hi-
You are right about how much tech, we already use in our classrooms. We too have been looking into the Boardmakers to use in out center. Having resources likes these are very helpful for all children like you said. Children love to see themselves and also do well when they have representation and visuals to things.
Joleen

kbricko said...

Jess,
I LOVE boardmaker Child Care Resource and Referral has had it for about a year now. It doesn't cost anything to use except what you print out. I made a template with 9-12 pictures from each heading. I think I have all of them done except for 2 groups. I laminated them and cut them out and filed them in a card box. Now when I want to make a schedule or anything else I just go to the box, pick out the pictures I need, enlarge/reduce, and copy them onto the paper or cardstock I want. The boardmaker program is quite expensive, so I am greatful to CCR&R for allowing us to use this wonderful program with our children.
Kim :)
One of the therapists that comes here was going to make a schedule for one of my boys and she was saying that she would have to find the time to go to work and find the pictures, boy did I surprise her when I pulled out my file box and found the pictures she needed.